Laura Heron -It’s taken time to accept I have PND

When it comes to me and my story, I don’t really know where to start because it has been such a whirlwind and has all happened very recently. My GP diagnosed me with PND five months ago but I really only accepted that to be true two months ago. I’m not sure exactly when the PND started but I do know when it all came to a head.

I had just gone back to work in September after a ten month maternity leave. My maternity leave was lovely and I was happy, but my daughter Grace wasn’t a good sleeper, day or night, and I hated leaving her with anyone, so I spent ALL of my time with her. I definitely had separation anxiety and was afraid to leave her incase she was upset. I was nervous about going back to work but felt that it’s just one of those things I had to do. My sister offered to be Grace’s child minder which was a massive load off my mind as I could not have left her at a crèche. So off to work I went hoping that once I got into the swing of things I would be fine. Eight weeks later, I wasn’t fine at all.

I began noticing that I felt nauseous a lot. I noticed that I would day-dream at work and found it really difficult to begin tasks. I would constantly ‘pop to the loo’ or ‘look in the storeroom for a thing I need’ in order to escape into some solitude. I would feel like I constantly needed a break to try to get my head straight but it never worked. It was like being surrounded by a dense fog all the time. I couldn’t make decisions, I couldn’t think straight and I felt neither happy nor sad just numb and empty. This went on for weeks. I was exhausted too because I was up settling Grace 2-3 times a night. On top of this was guilt. I felt guilty for not doing my job adequately, I felt guilty for not being at home with Grace, guilty for not being a good wife and guilty for just not coping. I wanted to do everything and do it perfectly. One Friday, I felt sick again and just couldn’t bring myself to start the day. So I phoned in sick. My sister took Grace and I stayed in bed all day.

The next day whilst standing at the cooker batch cooking meals for Grace, I said to my husband. “I think there is something wrong me. I don’t know what it is but I’m not myself and this isn’t normal”. My husband hugged me and said, ” You are going to be ok. You need to see the doctor and maybe get some counselling” and started ‘Googling’ local counselling services straight away. I was relieved to have confessed my feelings then I cried and cried.

I phoned in sick again on Monday and went straight to the doctor. I knew that I was feeling very overwhelmed but I never thought for a second it was PND. I just assumed it was stress and exhaustion. I was always very aware about PND. There is a history of depression in my family and I know what it can look like. I was always very honest about my feelings during my pregnancy and once Grace arrived because I was so afraid of getting PND. So when my GP said, “Laura you have PND” I couldn’t believe it. In fact I didn’t believe it. She wanted to sign me off work for at least a month but I said ‘No just one week. All I need is a wee rest and I’ll be grand’. A week later, I took another week, then another week, then another until eventually I admitted defeat and decided to stay off until the New Year.

I started counselling during this time off too and it has been a difficult journey but I always look forward to going. After the 3rd or 4th session I felt like I’d opened a can of worms but my counsellor said it has to be done in order to get to the root of why I was feeling so overwhelmed. Counselling has been an eye-opening experience and despite its challenges I have loved it.

January came and went and I still wasn’t back at work. I spoke to my boss and colleagues very openly about my feelings and everyone has been very supportive and caring. January and February were very difficult months. I felt so cross and frustrated with myself for not being better by now. My confidence was completely gone and I felt like a failure.

My doctor had been offering me an antidepressant from the outset but I kept refusing. Through my counselling I plucked up the courage to start taking them. I felt I needed one last push because despite my time off work and counselling I still wasn’t getting to where I wanted to be.

It’s now the beginning of April. I’m in a much better place though the fog still descends around me now and again. I feel more like myself again and have started to really take care of myself.

I’m still on my journey to wellness.


Could YOU write for Have you seen that girl?
I’m happy to feature those who already have a blog, are hoping to established one or simply want to write and share. Honest parenting – heartfelt or humourous –  is the only requirement! 
Get me at, I’d love to hear from you!